Tuesday, 14 July 2015

Book Preview: My experience with film

I love movies. So do a lot of other people. Without rambling in detail about my experience with the world of cinema, I just want to say I feel enlightened to have seen so many great works from around the world so far- they have shaped my way of thinking. About 15 months ago I began working on a film book project, which was to look at my experience with film in terms of what got me interested, what I want to do, my thoughts on particular areas film and a few other ramblings. I don't expect it to be a paid book by any means- it'd be a pdf online of some sort.


I am considering uploading certain chapters as a preview- then also attaching the full PDF to read. Perhaps uploading it just as blog posts/chapters? Below is an image of what I have in mind for chapters and such- instead of singular films I wanted to talk about directors, then a few of their films. I am trying to keep it to a minimum so it doesnt become a book of reviews- each film I talk about has enlightened me in some way, or changed how I see both the world and cinema. I hope it is an interesting read and I would like suggestions (and perhaps some motivation to finish it) from other lovers of film. Below is the introduction of the book- just the text. Thanks a lot for your time.



Chapter one: 


Film is my passion. I am obsessed; to invent a word I am cine-slave. It is cocaine and I am Tony Montana. There are many other terms and phrases that I could use, expressing my relation to film, as it is truly integral to my life. Without film, I would be lost in this world, and it goes beyond being just escape. Cinema lies in my dreams, my ambitions and as a source of information, cultural enlightenment, entertainment and new experiences. The diversity of film will always astound me. How films like Epic Movie and Casablanca can exist in the same universe as one another- there is good and there is bad, depending on taste and preference. Most people in life (at least I think they do) have some sort of drive for life, or activity they are passionate about. For some this could be a dancing career, becoming an athlete, being an entrepreneur of their own computer business, being an artist or even a love for the caring of animals. My drive is cinema as it is both my hobby and career aspiration.
What is it exactly that makes so mad about the silver screen? I ask myself this question all the time, and always come up with a new way of explaining it as I am now. The reason it is hard to express is because it is not a simple answer of “I like to laugh” or “I like to enter a new fantasy world”. This is because cinema, like literature is such a diverse medium of emotions and experiences. Movies can make you laugh, make you cry, haunt you, terrify you, inspire you, depress you, thrill you and enlighten you. Taking one look at the films that I love the most reminds me of this. From 2001: A Space Odyssey to The Rocky Horror Picture Show we can see the diversity of creative talent and atmosphere a film can bring.
Genres, sub-genres, cult followings, intellectual films, world cinema, trashy movies, blockbusters, exploitation cinema, stop-motion, slasher flicks, rom-coms, documentaries; it is exhausting to think of how much cinema lies out there in such a diverse range of styles. With the new technology access (Internet, streaming services) movie buffs have evolved, and while I have always wanted to live in a decade like the 20s or 80s I am grateful to live in this era. The Internet is where my film exploration began, and continues. The internet is where I was able to access old films like The Fly, Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, King Kong and anything by Charlie Chaplin- and thus sprouted my love for cinema.
Watching the movies themselves of course made me love cinema. However it was through the Internet that I learn about the history of cinema, the impact a film had during its release and other facts on the productions of movies. It is a great time to be alive as a film buff because of how easy it is to access the history of cinema. There are tons of ways to access movies online: streaming, downloads (whether legal or illegal), DVD rental services and purchases through Amazon or other online retailers. All of this has opened up doors for more than just cinema; it has opened up information for all. I don’t think films can be considered unimportant or a waste of time. “If you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all.” Says Kathy in Singin in the Rain, but it simply isn’t true. Cinema is fantasy and escapism. However, it is also something that reflects culture, society and life itself. Whether by capturing realism like in documentaries or exaggerating life, films can tell us something about society and culture of their times. 
Perhaps it is because I have spent so much of my life already watching movies and reading, writing about them I will find any justification to try and make my interest substantial and not a waste of time, but hopefully you can agree that film holds a certain place in this world. In this book, I will attempt to organise my thoughts on movies as to how they have personally affected me. Using several of my most beloved movies, I will go in-depth about how I feel about them as well as give historical and biographical information. This will be a combination or reviews; analyses and a variety of other topics. Cinema has shapes me and how I go about my life and I would like to talk about how it affects me, what it is like where I come from and what it is like being a film buff in ‘the digital age’. So, join me now as I begin to ramble about the movies and attempt to organise my feelings/thoughts into a way that is understandable. Here is to the magic of cinema.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Grants For Single Moms